With the rise of the remote work era, it’s essential to have a reliable way to record, transcribe and review meetings. Nowadays, Microsoft Teams has become a crucial tool that allows users to connect, communicate and collaborate with their team members remotely.
With its ability to record meetings, Microsoft Teams gives you unlimited power to review important information and revise what has been said. Whether you decide to use Microsoft Teams with its endless features, our guide on how to record meeting in teams will show you how to do all of that with ease. Dive in with us and discover the power of recording meetings on Microsoft Teams.
How To Record A Meeting In Teams
MS Teams meeting recording is a simple and efficient process. The recording takes place on the cloud, allowing for easy sharing and secure storage within your organization. All participants can access the recording, and the one who has started the recording process will receive an email notification once it is available to view.
The recording can also be found in the meeting chat or channel conversation if the meeting was on a channel. Guests and external attendees can also view the recording if it is explicitly shared with them.
Start Recording In Microsoft Teams
To start recording, you must host a meeting or join the existing one. Afterward, you must go to the meeting controls and press the ‘more actions button’ (3 dots). If the meeting controls are not appearing, you have to move the mouse cursor over the screen. To record meeting in teams, you must select ‘start recording.’ Once you have started recording, everyone in the meeting will be notified.
Please note: it is impossible to make multiple recordings of the same Microsoft teams meeting simultaneously. If one person starts a teams meeting recording, the cloud is where it will be stored, and all the participants will be able to access it. There is no need for two people to record a meeting.
Stop Recording In Teams
When you are done with your Microsoft teams meeting recording, you need to go to the meeting controls again and press the ‘more actions button‘ (3 dots). Now you have two options:
- You can stop the teams meeting recording manually by pressing the ‘Stop Recording‘ button.
- You can stop the transcription. This action prevents the live transcription; the team meeting recording will continue as long as you press the ‘Stop Recording‘ button.
- You can stop the Microsoft teams meeting. This will also stop the recording.
Where To Find Recorded Teams Meetings
After the call is over, you may want to view it. The teams meeting recording is processed and stored in Microsoft Stream, SharePoint, or OneDrive, depending on the type of Microsoft teams meeting.
The host of the recording will receive an email notification once it is available to view. The recording can also be found in the meeting chat or channel conversation (if the meeting was held in a channel).
Keep in mind that guests and external attendees can only view the recording if it is explicitly shared with them.
Set an Expiration date for your Recordings
If the desirable way for you to move with your recording is to set a deadline, the most applicable approach would be to go to the Teams admin center. After, you’ll have to go to the ‘Meetings‘ tab and find ‘Meeting Policies‘.
By pressing ‘Edit‘ on the ‘Meeting Policies‘, you’ll need to scroll down to ‘Recordings & Transcriptions.‘ Here you can modify the settings the way you want. You can also take control of the default expiration date and transcription as additional features.
Manage the Expiration of your Teams Recording
Fortunately, not all of the meetings have an expiration date. The admin’s settings are what indicate if/when the recording is going to expire. You’ll get a popup message once the recording is completed with the information for how long the recording is valid. To change or view the expiration date, you have to:
- Open the recording and go to the upper right corner to get to the ‘Details‘ panel
- Follow the other way. It would be to go to the ‘My files‘ section in either OneDrive or SharePoint. Once there, you can change the view to a list. Then, hover over the recording you’re interested in, and look for the three dots near the file name, then select ‘Details‘ . When you open this pane, try to look for the ‘Expiration date’. The current set date will be displayed here. To change the date, you’ll have to click the dropdown menu. Here you’ll see the options you can set the new date for; those are extending for: 14 days, 30 days, 60 days, or your own custom date. If you do not want the recording to be deleted at all, you will have to choose ‘No Expiration.’
Please note: watching the meeting recording is not going to influence the expiration date.
Who Can Record A Teams Meeting
Currently, to record meeting in teams, you have to:
- Be the owner of one of the following licenses: Office 365 Enterprise E1, E3, E5, F3, A1, A3, A5 M365 Business, Business Premium, or Business Essentials.
- Not be the guest or anonymous user;
- Have the option of recording (granted by the IT administrator);
- Be from the same organization.
It’s worth keeping in mind that the recording continues even if the person who hosted it leaves the meeting. The recording will stop automatically when everyone has left the meeting. However, if someone forgets to leave, the recording will end after four hours automatically. Additionally, if any of the participants have a compliance recording policy, the meeting will be recorded according to that policy, even if the participant is from a different organization.
How do you secretly record team meetings?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to record meeting in teams without notifying the other parties with no usage of the side applications. The notification and consent requirements are the built-in features of MS Teams.
It’s performed like this in order to ensure compliance with laws and regulations connected to meeting recordings. Additionally, it is recommended to notify the participants of the meeting that it will be recorded and to get their consent before performing the recording.
Why can’t I record Microsoft teams meeting?
If you are unable to record a Microsoft teams meeting, it could be due to not having an appropriate Office account or not having permission to record on Teams. To be able to record a meeting in teams, you must have one of the specified Office accounts listed, and you cannot be an anonymous user, guest, or from an external organization.
Additionally, if you are not the organizer of the meeting, you need to be given recording permission by an IT administrator. If you do not possess the necessary account or permission, you will need to use an external application to record the meeting.
In conclusion, recording a meeting on MS Teams is an efficient and simple way to outline and capture important information and discussions. By following the tips outlined in our guide, you can easily start and stop the recording, find the recorded team meeting, set and manage the expiration date for your recording, get to know who can record a meeting, secretly record team meeting and understand why you can not record one. Remember to follow all the laws and regulations regarding the recording of meetings and inform everyone before recording. Now you are ready to record your own meeting.
Enhance your Microsoft Teams experience with Sembly AI! 🙌
Sembly Microsoft Teams app enables managers and teams to records, transcribes and generates smart meeting summaries with meeting minutes. Works with Microsoft Teams, available in English across Web, iOS & Android mobile apps.
This supercharges team productivity while keeping an eye on achieving desired business outcomes. This can help create searchable records that live in one place, making it easier to recall specific parts by keyword or key item quickly.
Now you don’t have to leave the Teams environment to use Sembly AI. Just purchase the app in the Microsoft Teams App store and enjoy the amazing value in automated Meeting Notes and proxy attendance seamlessly from within your existing daily workflow.
- 💥 The Sembly AI agent can attend meetings automatically since it integrates with your Outlook calendar and knows when your meetings start. It attends just like any other user.
- 💥 You and your colleagues can focus on the conversation instead of on your note-taking during the meeting without being concerned about forgetting even the smallest idea discussed.
- 💥 Users receive auto-generated meeting notes and can generate Topic based Meeting Minutes after the meeting ends so in-meeting participants and other invited parties who couldn’t attend can quickly understand what was discussed, and interact through chat on any points that need further clarification.
- 💥 Users can share a granular meeting moment with colleagues by sending a short link over chat that enables the recipient to go directly to the point in the meeting they are being referred to. They can clarify or discuss pertinent information.
- 💥 Post-meeting dialogue typically includes users that participated and those that did not participate in the original meeting so that post-meeting collaboration can occur inclusively across a broad number of team members.
- 💥 Users can access Sembly AI through the Microsoft Teams desktop or mobile app, which is available for quick and easy use!
Install the Sembly Microsoft Team app from AppSource or Teams store
- ✅ Install the Sembly app from the Microsoft Teams AppSource for the best working team meetings.
- ✅ Access and review meetings within Microsoft Teams without having to switch to a different environment!
- ✅ Improve communication, efficiency, and effectiveness within your organization.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to supercharge team productivity with Sembly Microsoft Teams app – give it a try today!